Are you a Master Mariner with a passion for the Maritime Industry, and would you like to be a part of a unique, ambitious, and leading global independent energy and marine consultancy? Then this may be the role for you.
The ABL Group offers a wide range of services to the marine and energy markets, including providing consultancy studies to assist with the design and upgrades to ports and harbours. We have vast experience in all shipping and maritime-related matters including marine casualties, salvage and wreck removal, hull and machinery, P&I claims, fixed object damage, pollution, personal injury and marine accident investigation amongst other areas.
The ABL Group has offices located in all major maritime and shipping hubs around the world. We employ a wide range of experts with backgrounds in different areas of the shipping and maritime industry.
We are now looking to hire a Marine Consultant (Master Mariner) to join our Ports and Harbours team. A challenging job with lots of opportunities to develop yourself and pursue your career ambitions within marine consultancy.
As a Ports and Harbours Marine Consultant and surveyor you will engage in a variety of marine consultancy appointments as directed by the line manager to include, but not be limited to, desktop consultancy projects (with additional site visits as and when required), advising clients on marine-related matters at all stages of project development and engaging with other disciplines within ABL to deliver an overall package to the client. Your role might also include vessel surveys of all types, accident investigation and expert witness opinion. Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Undertaking consultancy services including vessel manoeuvring simulations, marine risk studies, vessel moorings and port operations
- Assisting the Line Manager in developing the Ports and Harbours business both internally and externally, including representing the Company to the market
- Assisting the Line Manager in business development with inter alia P&I Clubs, H&M insurers, Ship Owners, Managers, Charterers, Law Firms, and other key stakeholders
If required, also assist with:
- Conducting inspections and audits (Suitability, Condition, and Pre-purchase surveys) onboard ships as required by the client
- Taking part in technical and procedural reviews and marine study reports covering marine and offshore projects as well as site attendance
- Attendance of transportation and other marine operations as required
- Prepare and submit reports in English based on observations and findings
- Expert witness opinion within your specialist field, both written and potentially at court or arbitration
The role is based in London, and the incumbent must have the right to work and reside in the UK. In this hybrid role, you’ll have a defined work location that includes work from home, in the office and offshore/on-site as agreed with your manager. Flexibility to working hours and willingness to travel within Europe and further afield and be prepared to remain with a job until completion is a requirement.
Qualifications and experience required
We are looking for a driven and solution-oriented professional with sound technical skills and good decision-making capability. The successful candidate will have good communication and interpersonal skills, strong leadership ability and be able to deal effectively with multiple issues and assignments simultaneously. In addition, you will:
- Be Master Mariner (STCW II/2) with ECDIS and at least 7 years seagoing experience. Command experience is desirable but not essential
- Be a Harbour Master or marine pilot with at least 5 years’ experience
- Have a good knowledge of port operations and port management procedures
- A driving license is essential
- Other applicable experience (e.g., risk assessments, use of vessel manoeuvring simulators, port design, surveying, incident investigation) is an advantage
- Have strong communication skills; excellent written and spoken English is essential
- Strong report writing skills.
You can learn more about our team and what we do here.
Contact and application
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact David Faulkner, Director, Ports & Harbours by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us – make a difference and apply via the form below. Remember to attach your application and CV. Due to GDPR – only applications received via the link provided will be considered. The deadline for application is 1 July 2022.
Who we are
ABL Group is a leading global independent energy and marine consultant working in energy and oceans to de-risk and drive the energy transition across the renewables, maritime and oil and gas sectors, offering our clients the deepest pool of world-class expertise across marine, engineering and adjusting disciplines from more than 300 locations worldwide.
Headquartered in London, ABL Group has offices in all major marine and offshore energy hubs worldwide. We have 63 offices in 39 countries across Europe, Africa, the Americas, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia.
The ABL Group is a publicly listed company on the Oslo Børs (Aqua).