In July 2023, ABL hosted a half-day workshop for A-level students from Wallington County Grammar School (WCGS) at our offices in London. The workshop, presented by experts from across ABL Group’s companies – ABL, OWC and Longitude, provided insight into different types of engineering disciplines, ahead of the students’ upcoming applications to universities.
The day began with an introduction to ABL from Shai Tzucker, Managing Director – Energy Services, Europe and Africa. After which, the students were asked to discuss: ‘Why Engineering and what type of Engineering?’, garnering some passionate responses from both the students and the ABL engineers alike.
This was followed by presentations from:
- Dr Ir Sritama Sarkar, Principal Subsea and Pipeline Engineer on Subsea Engineering
- Mr Oliver Neill, Principal Naval Architect on Heavy Lift and Transportation of Structures
- Dr Aureliano Schirripa, Energy Technical Director on Risks in Offshore Operations
- Mr Kamrul Islam, Associate Master Mariner on Offshore Works from Master Mariner Perspective
Further presentations were heard from:
- Cindy Rosensteel, Consultant Electrical Engineer at OWC, who spoke on various Renewables technologies and the technical and social aspects of working at ABL Group; and
- Dr R.V. Ahilan, Chief Energy Transition Officer for ABL Group, who presented on Energy Transition Topics, to prepare prospective future Engineers who will be responsible for a ‘Greener Planet’
The day concluded with a working lunch session, during which Kate Kotiou, Group HR Learning and Development Manager, spoke about the training and development schemes in ABL Group, and was joined by Calum Murdoch, a 2nd Year on our Engineer Development Programme, who talked about university life and his transition into working life at ABL.
The students also had the opportunity to tour the office and speak to ABL’s pool of engineers, hard at work.
Our thanks to the students of Wallington County Grammar School (WCGS) for their engagement and enthusiasm throughout the workshop – and to our engineers for their brilliant presentations.
Want to know more about our Engineer Development Programme?