Carbon Trust has published The Phase IV Summary Report on its Floating Wind Joint Industry Programme (JIP), in which INNOSEA participated as research and development partners with specific scope on numerical modelling guidelines for floating turbines.
The report summarises the research undertaken to address some of the technical challenges of moving from fixed-bottom to floating offshore turbines.
The report provides an in-depth summary of the following projects:
- Floating wind access and availability: looking at how different access methods and floating platform types affect turbine availability.
- Wind turbine generators for floating wind: understanding the differences in wind turbine generator load/motion envelope and the design requirements for optimising turbines.
- Numerical modelling guidelines and standards: providing guidance for selecting and using numerical modelling tools for floating turbine design and detailing recommended load cases to reduce simulation efforts.
- Floating wind yield: understanding, quantifying and bounding the impact of floater motions on wake effects and energy yield. Through key stakeholder engagement, a number of recommended practices for developers, foundation suppliers, turbine OEMs and tool venders were established.
“We are delighted to have participated in this important research as part of the Carbon Trust’s Floating Wind JIP. The project encompasses critical research and development elements in numerical modelling, that our team has a wealth of expertise in and were proud to contribute towards.”Bruno Borgarino, Chief Technical Officer at INNOSEA
INNOSEA, the trusted and recognised engineering, advisory and R&D specialists, partner in many multi-national and high-profile R&D projects across the marine renewable energy landscape, continuously improving Innosea range of services:
- Advanced modelling of offshore renewable energy system, in the wind (fixed and floating), floating solar, tidal and wave energy sectors.
- Fixed and floating foundation design; FEED studies.
- Technical due diligence
- Strategy & advisory
- Dedicated software development
Contact INNOSEA’s research and development experts on +33 (0) 2 53 35 50 90 or Bruno.firstname.lastname@example.org, to hear more about services offered.