ABL Group was commissioned to provide owner’s engineering services for marine operations relating to the innovative UK SEE MONSTER project – a public art installation transformed from a decommissioned topside by creative studio NEWSUBSTANCE.
The SEE MONSTER project is part of UNBOXED: Creativity in the UK – a once-in-a-lifetime celebration of creativity, taking place across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and online from March to October 2022.
“SEE MONSTER is the centerpiece of UNBOXED 2022, which aims to showcase the UK’s innovation and creativity to the world. Re-purposing a decommissioned topside to be transformed for the benefit of the public, into an art installation provoking discussions on sustainability, is a first-of-a-kind project, which we are really proud to be involved in from the outset.”Nicholas Kaczynski, ABL Project Manager
The SEE MONSTER topside weighs 450 tonnes and was lifted off an SPMT in the bay of Weston-super-Mare, where it has recently been transported from the Netherlands, for final drop-off at its site of installation in the Tropicana.
ABL Group’s scope of work
ABL’s operations in Aberdeen were contracted by NEWSUBSTANCE – a UK-based creative studio, leading the SEE MONSTER project – to provide owner’s engineering services for the marine operations package across 3 phases of development – R&D, development and engineering, and project implementation.
- Independent engineering, marine consultancy & advisory
- Feasibility analysis services related to the selection of the topside, as well as site of installation
- Cost engineering
- Maritime civil engineering consultancy for quayside facilities at both site of loadout and site of installation
- Marine consultancy for marine transportation including review of seafastening design, transportation procedures and marine route planning and feasibility
- Suitability surveys of tug and barge for marine transportation
- Geotechnical review of ground risks relating to the SPMT and crane operations.
“Our long history in decommissioning operations, from feasibility, to engineering and operations, meant we were well-placed to support the delivery of marine operations relating to this project. It also aligns with our group commitment to supporting energy and oceans to look at a more sustainable future. This project is pioneering in showcasing positive ways in which decommissioned rigs can be repurposed.”Nicholas Kaczynski
Find out more about ABL Group’s turn-key service offering in supporting decommissioning of offshore assets: