Would you like a chance to be part of helping drive the energy transition in the shipping and offshore energy sectors? Do you thrive in a diverse and international environment where no two days are the same? Then perhaps this is the role you have been looking for.
OSD-IMT, part of Longitude, is a specialist ship design house with solid engineering capacity and a track-record of over 100 vessels of a wide range constructed to their designs. The company operates in all major marine markets: renewables, maritime, defence, commercial and oil and gas sectors. It particularly specialises in newbuild design, offshore support and supply vessels, dredgers and dredging support vessels, and marine survey/research vessels.
The company have already completed the design of the first seagoing hydrogen fuel cell powered ferry and is consulting on further alternative fuel designs including hydrogen and methanol. OSD-IMT is part of Longitude Engineering, a consultancy specializing in the design, conversion, and upgrade of ships and offshore assets. Formed in 2006, Longitude works in the renewables, maritime, defence, and offshore infrastructure segments and is part of the ABL Group.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Naval Architect to join our established and growing design team. The candidate will support our team to meet the growing demands from our clients for support on vessel design projects.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a team undertaking complex vessel designs and at the forefront of the energy transition including alternative fuels.
Working as part of the OSD-IMT/Longitude Engineering team, your primary task will be to undertake all aspects of ship concept and basic design for a range of vessel types. Key responsibilities will include:
- Ship design, specification, and calculations at different stages of the project, including conceptual and basic design for whole vessels and detailed activities for vessel alterations/upgrades
- Stability analysis and scantling design
- To undertake technical development/option studies in support of our clients and advise on appropriate vessel construction/upgrade/conversion options
- Customer liaison activities when required
- To provide consultancy to clients or (external or internal) as required
- To manage, oversee or be part of project- or work teams as required
In addition, you will have the opportunity to support the internal development of junior engineers and engage in external marketing activities.
The role is based in the UK and could be fulfilled at any of our existing office locations (London, Southampton, Exeter, Newcastle, Dundee or Bideford). The incumbent will have the right to live and work in the UK.
Qualifications and experience required
We are looking for a driven professional with good communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to deal effectively with multiple issues and assignments. The successful candidate will have great interpersonal skills and a global mindset. They will have a strong command of written and spoken English. In addition, you will:
- Be a Chartered Engineer or equivalent with considerable design related experience and/or training; or equivalents combination of education and experience
- Have a solid understanding of the wide range of concept and basic design aspects, ideally across a portfolio of vessel types
- Have at last 7 years relevant experience within the industry
- Full proficiency in English with the ability to deliver accurate and high-quality technical reports on time
- Capable of working independently as well as part of a team
Why work for us
We seek to transition and navigate our clients towards a more sustainable future. We empower our people – we celebrate the diverse and inclusive work culture. We cherish the differences, and we value the power of different backgrounds, experiences, and talent because it makes us stronger. Together we will make the world a better place.
Contact and application
If you have questions, please reach out to Dean Goves, Managing Director at tel: +44 (0) 2380 206906.
Join us – make a difference and apply via the form below. Remember to attach your application and CV. We will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis, so please don’t hesitate in making your application.
Who we are
The ABL Group is a leading global independent energy and marine consultant working in energy and oceans to de-risk and drive the energy transition across the renewables, maritime and oil and gas sectors, offering our clients the deepest pool of world-class expertise across marine, engineering and adjusting disciplines from more than 300 locations worldwide.
Headquartered in London, the ABL Group has offices in all major marine and offshore energy hubs worldwide. We have 63 offices in 39 countries across Europe, Africa, the Americas, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia.
The ABL Group is a publicly listed company on the Oslo Børs (Aqua).