Do you hold a Chief Engineer’s Certificate of Competency, and do you want to be a part of a unique and ambitious and leading global independent energy and marine consultancy? Then this may the role for you.
ABL Group provides services at every stage in the lifecycle of an oil and gas project. Between our group companies, we have the knowledge and experience to support right from the start at feasibility, early development and engineering, right through to marine warranty survey, operations and maintenance and end of life support with either life extension support or decommissioning.
ABL Group, headquartered in London, is a leading independent global energy and marine consultancy, working in energy and oceans to de-risk and drive the energy transition.
We seek to transition and navigate our clients towards a more sustainable future. We empower our people – we celebrate the diverse and inclusive work culture. We cherish the differences, and we value the power of different backgrounds, experiences, and talent because it makes us stronger. Together we will make the world a better place. Would you like to play your part?
We are looking to hire a Senior Marine Surveyor (Chief engineer) to join our team of experts. A challenging job with lots of opportunities to develop yourself and pursue your career ambitions within energy and marine consultancy.
As Senior Marine Surveyor you will perform maritime duties including, but not limited to pre-risk surveys and casualty investigations on behalf of Hull and Machinery Underwriters or P&I insurers, document reviews, account approvals, risk assessments, warranty surveys, marketing and business development work as required.
- To familiarise yourself with all aspects of ABL Maritime services and key deliverables.
- To attend casualties and determine nature, extent and cause of damage.
- Estimate costs of repairs and subsequently compile reports for Clients.
- Carry out conditional assessments of vessels, audit offices, shipyards and ports as part of pre-risk assessments for H&M and P&I insurers.
- Business development activities including the promotion of Marine Engineering Consulting with local and international clients.
- Assist in marketing of ABL Maritime and its services.
- Offer guidance and training to staff surveyors
- To QA deliverables and ensure quality of product
- Maintain own level of billable utilisation above 60%.
The role is based in Qatar and/or the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA). Flexibility to working hours, willingness to travel and work within a variety of time zones – offshore travel is a requirement of the job and working weekends will be required on occasion.
Qualifications and experience required
We are looking for a driven and solution oriented professional with sound technical skills and good decision-making capability. The successful candidate will be assertive and buoyant and have good communication and interpersonal skills. You are an organized and self-directed individual with strong business/commercial skills. Outgoing and pragmatic with strength of character, proactive and insightful with good man management skills. In addition, you will:
- Hold a Chief Engineer’s Certificate of Competency (Class 1 – STCW III/2).
- At least 10 years sea going experience within the Marine or Offshore Industry.
- Have attained at least the rank of 2nd Engineer.
- Have had exposure to vessel and machinery repair procedures. Previous experience from similar role, Marine Warranty /shore-based management experience and/or other applicable experience (technical superintendent, ship repair manager etc.) is an advantage but not a requirement.
- Be conversant with marine and engineering consultancy to the offshore oil and gas markets is desirable.
- Experience as Chief Engineer, experience with more complex claims & knowledge of local repair facilities as well as salvage options is an advantage.
- Have experience in authoring expert opinion reports.
- Have strong communication skills; excellent written and spoken English is essential.
- Have excellent report writing skills.
Contact and application
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact Wayne Neves, Director Maritime MENA & India by phone: +971 (0) 50450 8441
Join us – make a difference and apply via the form below. Remember to attach your application and CV. Due to GDPR we will only accept and consider applications sent through the form provided.
Who we are
ABL Group is a leading global independent energy and marine consultant working in energy and oceans to de-risk and drive the energy transition across the renewables, maritime and oil and gas sectors, offering our clients the deepest pool of world-class expertise across marine, engineering and adjusting disciplines from more than 300 locations worldwide.
Headquartered in London, the ABL Group has offices in all major marine and offshore energy hubs worldwide. We have 63 offices in 39 countries across Europe, Africa, the Americas, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia.
The ABL Group is a publicly listed company on the Oslo Børs (Aqua).