We are expanding our resources to meet the growing demands from our clients for both oil & gas and renewable energy projects. As a result, we are seeking a Principal Geotechnical Engineer with drive and enthusiasm to join the Longitude geosciences department, the engineering consultancy arm of the ABL Group.
Longitude Engineering, headquartered in London and Singapore, is a specialist engineering, design and analysis consultancy, specialising in marine operations engineering, vessel design, and marine asset design, conversion and upgrade. Set up in 2006, Longitude works in renewables, maritime, defence, oil & gas, and infrastructure. Part of ABL Group – the energy and marine consultants – Longitude also includes OSD-IMT – leaders in vessel and newbuild design.
We seek to transition and navigate our clients towards a more sustainable future. We empower our people – we celebrate the diverse and inclusive work culture. We cherish the differences, and we value the power of different backgrounds, experiences, and talent because it makes us stronger. Together we will make the world a better place. Would you like to play your part?
Key responsibilities and duties
As our new Geotechnical Engineer, you will be working as part of a team on engineering and consultancy assignments for a range of offshore renewables and oil and gas projects. The incumbent will be a geotechnical engineer with a proven track record of technical work, and well-founded experience in advanced geotechnical analysis as well as the delivery of geotechnical solutions with experience relating to the oil and gas and offshore renewable energy sectors being preferable.
The role may involve working on many projects simultaneously, and duties in these projects will involve:
- Site investigation management and supervision
- Conceptual foundation design
- Detailed foundation design
- Detailed analyses for offshore projects, subsea cable engineering experience is advantageous, and
- R&D projects to position company at the technical edge.
- Development of technical spreadsheets and tools based upon industry design codes and standards
The Engineer will be expected to:
- Lead projects (as assigned by the Engineering Manager) to accomplish the overall delivery of optimum solutions to clients with the timeframe, costs and quality standards established
- Prepare tenders and proposals Development of technical spreadsheets and tools based upon industry design codes and standards
- Make presentations to prospective clients marketing the capabilities of the client
- Attend regular internal meetings and external / third party meetings as required; and
- Ensure all deliverables are conducted in full compliance with approved instructions, procedures and policies
- Liaise and work with the other geoscience departments or disciplines of ABL Group
The role is based in the UK and could be fulfilled at any of our existing office locations (London, Southampton, Exeter, Newcastle, Dundee or Biddeford). The incumbent will be eligible to work and live in the UK.
Qualifications and experience required
We are looking for a driven and solution-oriented professional with good communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to deal with clients and assignments confidently and effectively. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills and a global mindset. They will have a strong command of written and spoken English. In addition, you will:
- A strong Civil Engineering academic background with a relevant geotechnical degree (ideally MSc or equivalent)
- 10 years of engineering consultancy experience
- Proven experience of acting as a geotechnical engineer in a fast-moving engineering consultancy environment
- Ability to work cross disciplines and departments under own initiative with a minimum level of supervision and be a self-starter
- A flair for innovation to develop new geotechnical analysis software. Candidates will be required to develop internal software and tools in which to apply to future projects
- Providing business development by building client relationships and pursuing potential projects
- Knowledge of the design and supervision of offshore site investigations and knowledge of the design of foundation types for fixed and floating offshore wind
- Knowledge of cable engineering and near-mudline geotechnical characterization studies would be beneficial
- Great technical skills and the ability to develop and lead geotechnical design teams
- Overseeing field exploration programs and laboratory testing
- Working knowledge of engineering principles and practices and the ability to select and apply standard guides, methods, and techniques
- Good experience in Microsoft Office if essential, experience in the following software list is desirable only: GIS, Visual Basic and Matlab, gINT, SlopeW, GRL WEAP, Opile, Allpile or Lpile, Oasys Alp and Finite Element Analysis
Why work for us
Longitude Engineering delivers specialist design and engineering services in the marine, offshore renewables, oil & gas, defence, and offshore infrastructure markets. In addition, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work within other geoscience departments of the ABL Group on a wide range of exciting and innovative offshore projects.
You can learn more about our team and what we do here.
Contact and application
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact Cara Watson and Cath Bradley at firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us – make a difference and apply via the form below. Remember to attach your application and CV. Due to GDPR we will only accept and consider applications sent through the link provided. Deadline for application May 1st 2022.