Are you a Master Mariner with a passion for the Maritime Industry, and would you like to be a part of a unique, ambitious, and leading global independent energy and marine consultancy? Then this may be the role for you.
With our entrenched legacy in providing expert support to marine casualties of any type and size worldwide, the ABL Group combines expert knowledge with strong collaboration and insight to deliver a fast, effective response to even the most urgent shipping challenge.
The ABL Group has offices located in all major maritime and shipping hubs around the world. We employ a wide range of experts with backgrounds in different areas of the shipping and maritime industry. Our shipping experts include the largest number in the industry of Lloyd’s appointed Special Casualty Representatives (SCR), to act on-site at a marine casualty in the event SCOPIC (Special Compensation P&I Club) clause is invoked under a Lloyd’s Open Form salvage contract.
We have vast experience in all shipping and maritime-related matters including marine casualties, salvage, and wreck removal, hull and machinery, P&I claims, fixed object damage, pollution, personal injury, ports and harbours, and marine accidents investigation amongst other areas.
We are now looking to hire a Marine Consultant (Master Mariner) to join our team of Maritime experts. A challenging job with lots of opportunities to develop yourself and pursue your career ambitions within marine consultancy.
As a Marine Consultant and Surveyor, you will engage in a variety of marine consultancy appointments as directed by the line manager including but not limited to, vessel surveys of all types, accident investigation, expert witness opinion, and desktop consultancy projects. Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- To assist the Line Manager in developing business with inter alia P&I Clubs, H&M insurers, Ship Owners, Managers, Charterers, Law Firms, and other key stakeholders
- Conduct inspections and audits (Suitability, Condition, and Pre-purchase surveys) onboard ships as required by the client
- Take part in technical and procedural reviews and marine study reports covering marine and offshore projects as well as site attendance
- Attendance of transportation and other marine operations as required
- Prepare and submit reports in English based on observations and findings
- Expert witness opinion, both written and potentially at court or arbitration
The role can be based at any one of our larger office locations. The candidate must have the right to live and work in the country of application.
Flexibility to working hours and willingness to travel and be prepared to remain with a job until completion.
Qualifications and experience required
We are looking for a driven and solution-oriented professional with sound technical skills and good decision-making capability. The successful candidate will have good communication and interpersonal skills, strong leadership ability, and be able to deal effectively with multiple issues and assignments simultaneously. In addition, you will:
- Be a Master Mariner (STCW II/2) with ECDIS and at least 7 years of seagoing experience. (Container, tanker, or bulk carrier). Command experience is desirable but not essential
- A driving license is essential
- Have exposure to vessel dry-docking
- Previous experience with Marine Insurance and Admiralty Law is an advantage as is experience from a similar role
- Other applicable experience (e.g., salvage master, SCR, Pilot) is an advantage.
- Have strong communication skills; excellent written and spoken English is essential.
- Strong report writing skills.
You can learn more about our team and what we do here.
Contact and application
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact Paul Martin, Director of Maritime UK, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join us – make a difference and apply via the form below. Remember to attach your application and CV.
Due to GDPR regulations, we only accept applications via the form.
Who we are
ABL Group is a leading global independent energy and marine consultant working in energy and oceans to de-risk and drive the energy transition across the renewables, maritime, and oil and gas sectors, offering our clients the deepest pool of world-class expertise across marine, engineering and adjusting disciplines from more than 300 locations worldwide.
Headquartered in London, the ABL Group has offices in all major marine and offshore energy hubs worldwide. We have 63 offices in 39 countries across Europe, Africa, the Americas, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia.
The ABL Group is a publicly listed company on the Oslo Børs (Aqua).