The ABL Group invites you to join a fast-growing and ambitious engineering consultancy in the energy and marine sectors. ABL was formed by acquiring several companies over the last decade, combining 1,000 staff, a strong track record in renewables, and an impressive growth trajectory. ABL is rapidly expanding in onshore renewables (onshore wind, solar, and energy storage), providing independent engineering, owner’s engineering, and other services to accelerate the energy transition and make the planet a better place to live.
We are looking to hire a Head of Renewables. The Head of Renewables (sub-Saharan Africa, SSA) role is critical for ABL with its various interest in renewables. This candidate will represent ABL predominantly across SSA, with a specific focus on South Africa and neighbouring markets, as well as being responsible for the growth and associated teams in this region and links more broadly across the continent.
The role will drive the ABL renewables business and position ABL as the advisor of choice for Africa. They will ultimately manage teams of multi-disciplined project managers, engineers, analysts, and specialists, integrating capability and groups across the company globally. The successful candidate will join the onshore renewables management team, sharing responsibility for meeting the ambitious business growth objective to double our renewables activity by 2025.
The successful candidate will report to the Director of Onshore Renewables in the UK but will be highly autonomous.
The following are the key responsibilities and duties that will apply as a guide:
- Represent renewables and their associated technologies, namely solar PV, onshore wind, offshore wind, and energy storage, to the relevant industries across SSA
- Lead on business development and strategy, driving ABL activity across the region
- Responsible for renewables P&L, including meeting annual revenue and profit budgets
- Grow, manage, and above all, lead our people. Staff must be continuously empowered to achieve their full potential as ABL’s strength is in its people.
- Lead on projects, owning quality standards, and acting as or appointing a suitable Project Director to manage delivery teams to ensure the utmost satisfaction of our Clients and an outstanding quality of deliverable
- Develop ABL’s renewables products to lead in new markets and new (associated) technologies, building new systems through R&D to give ABL a competitive advantage
- Collaborate with, support, and evolve with other businesses, teams, and staff in the ABL Group, networking at all levels within the company and with external bodies, and acting as an ambassador for ABL at industry conferences and seminars events etc.
- Ensure that engineering activities operate by ABL’s high health, safety, and environmental policies and procedures to guarantee the security and wellbeing of staff, sub-contractors, and any other third parties whom our work may impact.
- Ensure work and technical quality standards are clear and maintained, are consistent, and ensure fluid operations across offices, countries, and technologies.
Qualifications and experience required
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following qualifications and experience:
- 8+ years of experience, comprehensive knowledge of, and passion for renewables
- Detailed knowledge of sub-Saharan renewable energy markets, policies, and issues
- A successful track record of managing, coaching, and leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in consulting and business development, with an unparalleled network across South Africa and other key SSA markets
- Key characteristics include a robust entrepreneurial spirit and interpersonal skills, self-awareness, attention to detail, strength of character, pragmatism, and flexibility.
- Experience as Independent Engineer or Owner’s Engineer on multiple projects
- Experience on multiple sides of a project (developer, owner, financier, etc.)
- Broad technical knowledge, including contracts, yield, grid, planning, etc.
- Excellent knowledge of financing and regulatory mechanisms (REIPP, Eskom, etc.)
- Qualified to at least degree level in Engineering or relevant discipline
- Exemplary project management and report writing skills
Additionally, the following would be favourable:
- Experience in working in a site environment as an Owner’s Engineer
- Experience in wider Africa outside of SSA
- Multiple cultural and language experience and capability
- While ABL is highly flexible on location, the successful candidate will know that this leadership role will require significant time in the office.
- The candidate must have the right to live and work in the country of application.
- Local and international travel will be required.
- Hours are flexible (subject to the above), but a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Start date: September 2022 or after that
- No recruiters or agencies will be considered unless pre-authorised; direct applications only.
Why work for us
At ABL, we are more than just engineers and managers – our global teams of experts are passionate about creating a sustainable world. Working with us will allow you to work with the highest calibre of people and be part of an exciting journey in a dynamic environment of rapid growth in new markets on exciting renewable energy projects.
Contact and application
Join us – make a difference and apply to firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember to attach your application and CV.
Who we are
ABL Group is a leading global independent energy and marine consultant working in energy and oceans to de-risk and drive the energy transition across the renewables, maritime and oil and gas sectors, offering our clients the deepest pool of world-class expertise across marine, engineering and adjusting disciplines from more than 300 locations worldwide.
Headquartered in London, the ABL Group has offices in all major marine and offshore energy hubs worldwide. We have 63 offices in 39 countries across Europe, Africa, the Americas, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia.
The ABL Group is a publicly listed company on the Oslo Børs (Aqua).