Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
We are seeking a Geotechnical Engineer/Engineering Geologist to join the Longitude geosciences department, the engineering consultancy arm of the ABL Group.
Longitude Engineering, headquartered in London and Singapore, is a specialist engineering, design and analysis consultancy, specializing in marine operations engineering, vessel design, and marine asset design, conversion and upgrade. Set up in 2006, Longitude works in renewables, maritime, defence, oil & gas, infrastructure.
Part of ABL Group – the energy and marine consultants – Longitude also includes OSD-IMT – leaders in vessel and newbuild design.
We seek to transition and navigate our clients towards a more sustainable future. We empower our people – we celebrate the diverse and inclusive work culture. We cherish the differences, and we value the power of different backgrounds, experiences, and talent because it makes us stronger.
Together we will make the world a better place. Would you like to play your part?
We are expanding our resources to meet the growing demands from our clients for both oil & gas and renewable energy projects. As a result, we’re looking to grow our geosciences team and looking for people with the drive and enthusiasm to embrace the challenge.
The successful candidate will be a geotechnical engineer/engineering geologist with ambition and potential to become an invaluable part of the team. You will have an aptitude for GIS, and development of geological ground models and site characterisation.
Key responsibilities and duties
As geotechnical engineer you will work as part of a team on engineering and consultancy assignments for a range of offshore wind farm and oil and gas projects. Duties in these projects will include:
- Desk study and site feasibility & Geological site characterization and assessment
- Site investigation scoping and supervision
- Interpretive reporting and geotechnical parameter selection, involvement in production of geotechnical ground model
- Involvement in cable risk analysis, from routing to cable burial assessment and tool selection/performance
- If desired, involvement in conceptual foundation design, and/or detailed foundation design, and/or detailed analyses
Further, you will be expected to:
- Assist on projects to accomplish the overall delivery of optimum solutions to clients with the timeframe, costs and quality standards established
- Attend regular internal meetings and external / third party meetings as required
- Work with the wider ABL geoscience departments as required
- Attend site/provide offshore supervision as required
- Should have excellent report writing skills
Qualifications and experience required
To succeed in this position, we believe you have an analytic mindset and a solid understanding of geoscience. You enjoy working under your own initiative, as well as part of a team. You work in a structured and organized way with keen attention to detail. Along with this, you are committed to your tasks with have good interpersonal skills, great English (verbal and written) communication skills, and you:
- Hold a relevant geotechnical degree (ideally MSc or equivalent), other civil engineering degree (ideally MSc or equivalent)
- Well versed with Microsoft Office & GIS
- Are able to work in an offshore environment on an occasional basis is desirable
- Experience with Geological software tools is an advantage but not a requirement
- 0-2 years in engineering consultancy is desirable but not a requisite
Also, experience as below is advantageous – but not a must-have:
- Experience in the design and supervision of offshore site investigations, and/or offshore renewables projects, and/or cable routing, and/or cable burial studies and near-mudline geotechnical characterization studies, and/or reporting and geotechnical parameter selection
The role is placed with Longitude preferably in Newcastle, UK (but could be fulfilled at any of our existing office locations in UK). There will be opportunities to work within other geoscience departments of the ABL Group on a wide range of offshore projects. The incumbent will have the right to live and work in UK.
Offshore supervision of some projects may be required from time to time.
Why work for us
Longitude Engineering delivers specialist design and engineering services in the marine, offshore renewables, oil & gas, defence, and offshore infrastructure markets. In addition, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work within other geoscience departments of the ABL Group on a wide range of exciting and innovative offshore projects.
You can learn more about our team and what we do here: www.longitude-engineering.com
Contact and application
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact Cara Watson and Cath Bradley at email@example.com – Deadline for application is 22nd of May 2022.
Join us – make a difference and apply via the form below. Remember to attach your application and CV. Due to GDPR we will only accept and consider applications sent through the form provided.
Who we are
ABL Group is a leading global independent energy and marine consultant working in energy and oceans to de-risk and drive the energy transition across the renewables, maritime and oil and gas sectors, offering our clients the deepest pool of world-class expertise across marine, engineering and adjusting disciplines from more than 300 locations worldwide.
Headquartered in London, the ABL Group has offices in all major marine and offshore energy hubs worldwide. We have 63 offices in 39 countries across Europe, Africa, the Americas, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia.
The ABL Group is a publicly listed company on the Oslo Børs (Aqua).